Arts & Humanities Grants: up to $1000
Arts & Humanities grants, a partnership between the Maine Humanities Council and the Maine Arts Commission, support innovative community projects that have BOTH arts and humanities components.
- Application: Electronic application at Maine Arts Commission. Applicants must speak with both Anne or Lizz at the MHC (207-773-5051) AND Kathy Shaw at the MAC (207-287-2750) to make sure their project fits the guidelines.
- Submission/Deadlines: Deadlines for 2016-17 are on November 4, 2016 and March 23, 2017. Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after these deadlines.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee from MHC and MAC.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks after the deadline.
Mini Grants: up to $1,000
Deadlines for 2016-17:
October 17, 2016 January 13, 2017
- April 14, 2017
- July 17, 2017
- October 16, 2017
Support for a wide variety of public humanities projects, such as exhibits, lecture and film series, reading and discussion programs, symposia, cultural celebrations, etc.
- Download Word application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget form should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by MHC Grants Committee.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of submission.
Major Grants: $1,001 to $7,500
Deadlines: Optional draft due December 2, 2016; final due January 31, 2017
Support for a variety of larger humanities projects such as exhibits, conferences, films, and other initiatives.
Major grant projects have well-developed thematic content, broad public outreach, and strong scholar participation. The maximum allowed award of $7,500 is available only for exemplary projects under extraordinary circumstances.
- Download Word application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Major grant applicants may submit a draft application if they wish. Our committee will review it and, if appropriate, offer suggestions for improvement. Send draft application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee of MHC board members.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of final submission.
It is suggested, but not required, that you call or email Anne or Lizz to discuss your project idea for Mini and Major Grants. We are happy to provide advice and suggestions that may strengthen your application.
Office hours for grant queries (207-773-5051):
Mondays: 12 – 5
Thursdays: 12 – 5
Fridays: 9 – 5