Arts & Humanities Grants: up to $1,000
Arts & Humanities grants, a partnership between the Maine Humanities Council and the Maine Arts Commission, support innovative community projects that have BOTH arts and humanities components.
- Application: Download the Guidelines and Instructions, the Word application, and the Excel budget form.
- Applicants must speak with representatives from both organizations—Jerome Bennett at the MHC (207-773-5051) AND Kathy Shaw at the MAC (207-287-2750)—to make sure their project fits the guidelines.
- Submission/Deadlines: October 19, 2018. Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after these deadlines.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee from MHC and MAC.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks after the deadline.
Mini Grants: up to $1,000
Deadlines for 2017-18:
- October 16, 2017
- February 16, 2018
- May 18, 2018
- August 17, 2018
Support for a wide variety of public humanities projects, such as exhibits, lecture and film series, reading and discussion programs, symposia, cultural celebrations, etc.
- Download Word application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget form should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Project must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by MHC Grants Committee.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of submission.
Major Grants: $1,001 to $7,500
Deadlines: Optional draft due December 1, 2017; final due January 30, 2018
Support for a variety of larger humanities projects such as exhibits, conferences, films, and other initiatives.
Major grant projects have well-developed thematic content, broad public outreach, and strong scholar participation. The maximum allowed award of $7,500 is available only for exemplary projects under extraordinary circumstances.
- Download Word application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Major grant applicants may submit a draft application if they wish. it is not required and is not used as a screening process. Our committee will review it and, if appropriate, offer suggestions for improvement. Send draft application to email@example.com by the draft deadline.
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee of MHC board members.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of final submission.
It is suggested, but not required, that you call or email Jerome or Lizz to discuss your project idea for Mini and Major Grants. We are happy to provide advice and suggestions that may strengthen your application.
Office hours for grant queries (207-773-5051):
Mondays: 12 – 5
Thursdays: 12 – 5
Fridays: 9 – 5