To better serve applicants in 2019, we will be making ongoing changes to our grants page. While we will be accepting our older application forms, please continue to check back for the most up-to-date forms and resources. Thanks for your patience as we make improvements to the application process. We can't wait to receive your application!
Major Grants: $1,001 to $7,500
Final applications due January 31, 2020.
Support for a variety of larger humanities projects such as exhibits, conferences, films, and other initiatives.
Major grant projects have well-developed thematic content, broad public outreach, and strong scholar participation.
- Download the application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Major grant applicants may submit a draft application if they wish. it is not required and is not used as a screening process. Our committee will review it and, if appropriate, offer suggestions for improvement. Send draft application to email@example.com by the draft deadline.
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee of MHC board members.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of final submission.
Mini Grants: up to $1,000
- October 4, 2019
Support for a wide variety of public humanities projects, such as exhibits, lecture and film series, reading and discussion programs, symposia, cultural celebrations, etc.
- Download the application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget form should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by MHC Grants Committee.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of submission.
Arts & Humanities Grants: up to $1,000
- October 17, 2019
Arts & Humanities grants, a partnership between the Maine Humanities Council and the Maine Arts Commission, support innovative community projects that have BOTH arts and humanities components.
- Application: Download the Guidelines and Instructions, the application, and the Excel budget form.
- Applicants must speak with Jerome Bennett from the MHC (207-773-5051) and Kerstin Gilg from the MAC (207-287-7719)—to make sure their project fits the guidelines.
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after these deadlines.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee from MHC and MAC.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks after the deadline.
We are happy to provide advice and suggestions that may strengthen your application.
Office hours for grant queries (207-773-5051):
Mondays: 12 – 5
Thursdays: 12 – 5
Fridays: 9 – 5