Celebrating the inventive language of Shakespeare
In 2016, the Maine Humanities Council and the Maine State Library will join forces to offer a touring program aimed at turning the most quarrelsome Shakespeare hater into a bold-faced fan!
“The Zany, Majestic Bard” is a one-hour performance-lecture created and performed by David Greenham. This lively, fun, and educational performance will delight and surprise audiences of all ages. The program includes history, a brief guide on how to read and understand the text, the opportunity to hear some Shakespeare, and plenty of good jokes.
So, without further ado, here are the libraries and communities that will be hosting “The Zany, Majestic Bard” between May and October. Congratulations!
As programs are scheduled at these sites, we will list them in our events calendar. Please check with your local library for updates on when they will be hosting this program.
- April 26- Maine State Library- 6 p.m.
- May 5- Pittsfield Public Library/ Maine Central Institute- 1 p.m.
- May 12- Piscataquis Community Secondary School Library/Guilford Memorial Library- 10:00am
- May 16- Maranacook Community High School Library (Readfield)- 9:30 a.m.
- May 18- Patten Free Library (Bath)/ Chocolate Church- 6:30 p.m.
- May 31- Thomas Memorial Library (Cape Elizabeth)- 6:30 p.m.
- June 1- Rice Library (Kittery)- 6 p.m.
- June 6- Kennebunk Free Library- 6 p.m.
- June 16- Harrison Village Library/ Deertrees Theatre- 7:30 p.m.
- July 5- Paris Public Library- 6:30 p.m.
- July 6- Topsham Public Library- 6 p.m.
- July 28- Portland Public Library – Peaks Island Branch- 7 p.m.
- August 11- Rockland Public Library- 6 p.m.
- September 13- Bailey Public Library (Winthrop)- 6:30 p.m.
- September 16- Cary Library/ Houlton Higher Education Center/Houlton-Hodgdon Adult Ed- 7 p.m.
- September 20- Merrill Memorial Library (Yarmouth)- 6:00 p.m.
- September 21- Shaw Public Library (Greenville)- 6 p.m.
- September 26- Wells Public Library/Wells Public High School- 12:30 p.m.
- September 29- Cheverus High School Library (Portland)- 6:30 p.m.
- October 4- Washington County Community College Library (Calais)- 6 p.m.
- October 11- Scarborough Public Library/ Wentworth School- 8 a.m.
- October 14- Erskine Academy Library (China)- 9:30 a.m.
- October 17- Merrill Library at UMaine Machias/Porter Memorial Library- 12 p.m.
- October 20- Windham High School/Windham Public Library/Raymond Village Library- 6:30 p.m.
- October 21- Auburn Public Library/Lewiston Public Library/Community Little Theater- 10:00 a.m.