For discussion: What does freedom mean to us? Is equality essential? Why is it important to challenge accepted assumptions that inequality is “just how it is”? What avenues of thought and action can lead us to change? How do the courageous actions of our forebears affect our own actions? What role do patience and persistence play in achieving a goal?
Session 1: Yearning to Breathe Free
- A Picnic in October by Eve Bunting
- Emma’s Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty by Linda Glaser
- Coming to America: The Story of Immigration by Betsy Maestro
Session 2: What Does Freedom Mean?
- Granddaddy’s Gift by Margaree King Mitchell
- Freedom on the Menu: The Greensboro Sit-Ins by Carole Boston Weatherford
- Rosa by Nikki Giovanni
Session 3: Moving Mountains
- Ballots for Belva: The True Story of a Woman’s Race for the Presidency by Sudipta Bardham-Quallen
- Separate is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation by Duncan Tonatiuh
- My Diary from Here to There by Amanda Irma Pérez