Assisting nonprofit organizations in Maine develop public projects
Our grants support and encourage a deeper understanding of ourselves and one another, building lasting connections and reaching diverse, multigenerational, and rural audiences.
Major Grants: $1,001 to $7,500
Final applications due January 31, 2020.
Support for a variety of larger humanities projects such as exhibits, conferences, films, and other initiatives.
Major grant projects have well-developed thematic content, broad public outreach, and strong scholar participation.
- Download the application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Major grant applicants may submit a draft application if they wish. it is not required and is not used as a screening process. Our committee will review it and, if appropriate, offer suggestions for improvement. Send draft application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the draft deadline.
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee of MHC board members.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of final submission.
Mini Grants: up to $1,000
Upcoming Deadlines: October 4, 2019
Support for a wide variety of public humanities projects, such as exhibits, lecture and film series, reading and discussion programs, symposia, cultural celebrations, etc.
- Download the application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget form should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Project must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by MHC Grants Committee.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of submission.
Arts & Humanities Grants: up to $1,000
Upcoming Deadlines: October 17, 2019
Arts & Humanities grants, a partnership between the Maine Humanities Council and the Maine Arts Commission, support innovative community projects that have BOTH arts and humanities components.
- Download the Guidelines and Instructions, the application, and the Excel budget form.
- Applicants must speak with Jerome Bennett from the MHC (207-773-5051) and Kerstin Gilg from the MAC (207-287-7719)—to make sure their project fits the guidelines.
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after these deadlines.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee from MHC and MAC.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks after the deadline.
We are happy to provide advice and suggestions that may strengthen your application.
Office hours for grant queries (207-773-5051):
Mondays: 12 – 5
Thursdays: 12 – 5
Fridays: 9 – 5