Assisting nonprofit organizations in Maine develop public projects.
Current grant opportunities
Arts & Humanities Grants due April 1, 2021
Applications for Mini Grants open April 8, 2021
Major Grants: $1,001 to $7,500
The Maine Humanities Council Major Grant program distributes funding to non-profit organizations in Maine for larger humanities programs and projects – things like exhibits, films, conferences, initiatives – that have broad public outreach. We are excited to support programs and projects with rich, well-developed humanities content, strong participation from a scholar or topic expert, and robust support from partners in the community.
- Review: Major Grant guidelines | Grant FAQs
- Complete: Application, Excel budget form and Major Grant narrative
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Applications reviewed by committee of MHC board members.
- Notification: Within 8 weeks of final submission.
Mini Grants: up to $1,000
For projects that use the humanities to connect people across physical distance, whether they make use of digital technologies or use ways of connecting those without access to digital tools.
Upcoming: Opens April 8 | Due May 6
- Download the application and Excel budget form.
- Your finished application and budget should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Mini Grant” and the application deadline as your subject line.
- Project must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by MHC Grants Committee.
- Notification: Within 8 weeks of submission.
Arts & Humanities Grants: up to $1,000
Arts & Humanities grants, a partnership between the Maine Humanities Council and the Maine Arts Commission, support innovative community projects that have BOTH arts and humanities components.
Upcoming Deadline: April 1
- Please apply through the Maine Arts Commission.
- Applicants must speak with Lizz Sinclair from the MHC (207-773-5051) and Kerstin Gilg from the MAC (207-287-2724)—to make sure their project fits the guidelines.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee from MHC and MAC.