Our grants support and encourage a deeper understanding of ourselves and one another, building lasting connections and reaching diverse, multigenerational, and rural audiences.
Major Grants: $1,001 to $7,500
Final applications: January 31, 2020
Draft applications: December 1, 2019
Our draft review process is an opportunity to receive feedback from staff and strengthen your proposal prior to the January 31 deadline. While we welcome drafts after December 1, we can only guarantee a review to those submitted prior to the deadline.
Support for a variety of larger humanities projects such as exhibits, conferences, films, and other initiatives.
Major grant projects have well-developed thematic content, broad public outreach, and strong scholar participation.
- Download the application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee of MHC board members.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of final submission.
Mini Grants: up to $1,000
Upcoming Deadlines: April 3, June 5, and August 7, 2020
Support for a wide variety of public humanities projects, such as exhibits, lecture and film series, reading and discussion programs, symposia, cultural celebrations, etc.
- Download the application and Excel budget form. Finished application and budget form should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after the deadline.
- Review: Applications reviewed by MHC Grants Committee.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks of submission.
Arts & Humanities Grants: up to $1,000
Applications open: January 1, 2020
Applications due: March 26, 2020
Arts & Humanities grants, a partnership between the Maine Humanities Council and the Maine Arts Commission, support innovative community projects that have BOTH arts and humanities components.
- Please apply through the Maine Arts Commission.
- Applicants must speak with Jerome Bennett from the MHC (207-773-5051) and Kerstin Gilg from the MAC (207-287-2724)—to make sure their project fits the guidelines.
- Projects must begin no sooner than 8 weeks after these deadlines.
- Review: Applications reviewed by committee from MHC and MAC.
- Notification: Within 6 weeks after the deadline.
We are happy to provide advice and suggestions that may strengthen your application.
Office hours for grant queries (207-773-5051):
Mondays: 12 – 5
Thursdays: 12 – 5
Fridays: 9 – 5