“Homer’s Odyssey offers a map for Soldiers coming home. A reading group provides the opportunity for Veterans to read the map.” -- Program participant
We are offering several book groups to all Maine Veterans / Former Service Members this spring. Groups may focus on one longer text, like the Odyssey, or instead read selected short stories, novels, memoirs, historical texts, essays, or poems related to the experience of military service.
A Reading and Discussion Group for Veterans/Former Service Members of All Eras. Readings will include fiction, nonfiction, and poetry from a variety of eras and perspectives.
- April 2 – May 7 | Mondays 6:00-7:30 PM
- Facilitated by Melinda Plastas, Bates College
Kyle Elsea U.S. Army and Nancy Laffin, U.S. Army
- Registration is free | Call Erik Noll: 783-0068
A Reading and Discussion Group for Combat Veterans. Readings will include The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque and Tribe: on Homecoming and Belonging by Sebastian Junger.
- March 29 – May 24 | Thursdays 6:00 to 8:00 pm
- Facilitated by Jeannine Uzzi, Ph.D., University of Southern Maine and Cliff Trott, U.S. Army.
- Registration is free | Call Cliff Trott: 780-3584
Preceding the presentation by the author, all Veterans are invited to join a free, facilitated book discussion of Fearful Odds: A Memoir of Vietnam and its Aftermath by Charles W. Newhall. Copies of the book and supper will be available at each discussion.
- Discussion dates: May 16 and May 23, 5:30 PM | Book talk: May 26, 11:00 AM
- Location: Knox Museum: 30 High Street, Thomaston, ME
- Facilitated by: Matt Hansbury, U.S. Coast Guard, OIF and Kate Ver Ploeg, University of Maine at Augusta.
- Registration is free | Call Matt Hansbury: 354-0885
To stay informed about upcoming Veterans Book Groups, join our VBG Mailing List.